I am a postdoctoral research affiliate at the Dartmouth Mathematics Department in the group of Peter Mucha. My research combines ideas and methods from applied mathematics, network science, and machine learning to study complex systems in biology, neuroscience, psychology, and the social sciences. Learn a little more about my research trajectory in the announcement of the 2023 SIAM Project NExT fellows SIAM News 12/2022.
Together with Francisca Ortiz and Echo Liu, I convene the seminar series on "Women in Network Science". Please get in touch if you are interested in presenting in the seminar or if you would like to nominate speakers. You can sign up for the seminar's mailing list here and you can view the list of scheduled and previous talks here.
Mathematical modelling, dynamical systems, complex systems, networks in biology and ecology, natural and artificial neural networks, network inference, system robustness, system redundancy
To learn more about my research, you can check out my presentations at
- the BIRS Workshop on "Building Networks: Women in Complex and Nonlinear Systems" 2022 (video),
- the Networks Seminar at the University of Oxford 2021 (video),
- the NetSci 2020 conference (slides),
- the Diversify NetSci 2020 Showcase (slides),
- the NetSci Satellite on Higher-Order Network Science 2020 (video /slides),
- the CNS 2020 conference (video /slides).
I hold a DPhil (PhD) in Mathematics from the University of Oxford, a MSc in theoretical physics and a BSc in physics from Technische Universitaet Berlin. During my DPhil studies, I was a visiting graduate researcher at the UCLA Department of Mathematics for two years. Among other programmes, I participated in the Park City Mathematics Program 2017 and the Complex Systems Summer School 2018 at the Santa Fe Institute.
For more information, please see my CV [pdf].
I am committed to supporting students from underrepresented groups in academia. Students and prospective students who are interested in applying to one of the departments or schools with which I currently am (or have previously have been) affiliated are welcome to contact me via email for advice.
Please see google scholar.
More about me on the web
There are also three podcast interviews with me available online:
- "Too Lazy To Read The Paper" podcast with Sune Lehmann on May 17, 2021
- "Knitting Networks" podcast with Francisca Ortiz and Alejandro Espinosa-Rada on April 7, 2021
- "Pushing the Glass Ceiling" podcast with Ana Maria Jaramillo and Mariana Macedo on June 29, 2021
Conferences and Workshops 2023
I plan to attend the Joint Math Meeting 2023, SIAM Dynamical Systems 2023, and NetSci 2023.
Conferences and Workshops 2022
In 2022, I have presented research at the Aspen Winter Workshop on The Dynamics of Social Interactions, the SIAM Life Science conference, the Workshop on Contagion on Complex Social Systems at the University of Colorado Boulder, the SIAM Workshop on Network Science 2022, and the BIRS workshop on "Building Networks: Women in Complex and Nonlinear Systems".
email: alice dot c dot schwarze at dartmouth dot edu
Last updated on december 1, 2022